Saturday, December 15, 2012

Photograph's are Art & Stealing Them is Theft!

I realize that once you put something on the net, it more-or-less becomes public property. I don't find it fair or right, but it happens. However, if you look hard enough, you can often find where things have originated from.

I have been taking photos since I was little. My Grand Parents put camera's and video equipment in my hands, when they needed someone other then themselves to take a photo. Eventually they learned my photos were descent and that I in fact had an eye for it. It came to the point that I would often just pick up and shoot on my own. 

One year my Father bought me a camera, several rolls of film and several flash bars, as payment for helping him paint our house. He told me to take photos of whatever I deemed necessary, and took the first photo of me on the ladder, high up at the peak of the house. 

From this point on, I have been buying, getting and taking photos. Many of times, I have been hired, and paid for my ability, and never have I received a negative comment, except from myself of course. I always feel I could have done better, and am often disappointed in myself, as with anything I do.

I like the feature on facebook, whereas people whom aren't even your friends may tag your photos, still allowing said photos to remain in your album, as your own, giving you the proper credit you deserve. This is as it should be. 
My Son Darryl on his wedding day 12/12/12 photographer: Me!


I also like the fact, that many people have respect enough, to ask before tagging. There are some who don't, but at least when and if they do, your photo's are not being taken from you, and when the photos appear on their wall, it still shows you as the owner of said photo, thus giving you proper credit. Therefore if someone wants to hire you, because they see the quality you offer, they can do so.

The reason I am writing about this now, I just uploaded over one thousand photos and something like twelve videos over the last two days. During this time frame, I made many new friends, because through several of the events that I photographed, people decided I was a very nice person, even "cool" some have said. And they have friended me, and several even asked to hang out with me in the near future. But that is beside the point.
Shannon Lucarelli-Williams, my Daughter in Law on her wedding day 12/12/12 with her Father John Lucarelli. Photographer: Me!

The person whom hired me, asked to tag their friends. I approved, no problem. Many of the other people, tagged themselves as well, and I tagged some of the new ones who joined me on my page too.

Then I had some from the people whom hired me, I have had their family members tag the photos, some asked, some did not, again, no problem. The photos are still mine, and I am receiving credit where credit is due.
Its the Memorable Moments in Photos that will NEVER be forgotten. Darryl & Shannon! Wedding Day 12/12/12 Photographer: Me! (I love this photo!)

Now I am seeing on the person whom hired me, tags from someones "Mobile Uploads" which is supposed to be or mean from their own phone. I glance at their photos to see if they shot any photos of me. Low and behold the photos this person is posting are my photos! I proceed to write on every photo that I did in fact take this photo, not the person who is claiming it is their own mobile upload. 

Yes, you can call me petty. I myself, think the person who did it, did it only to irritate me, after all- that is all that person has ever done. Why didn't they just tag themselves like everyone else? In my honest opinion, to see if I would react. I wasn't hateful, rude or nasty, but I did point blank lay claim on my photos. 
One of my Projects! Crochet. This is a Gator Themed Afghan. This was made for someone, but similar styles to this are available for sale. Photographer: Me!

For those of you who might not understand, photography is also an art, just as much as painting is. You have to get the right lighting, the people to smile, and timing is also everything. And not to mention, I was on my feet for many hours doing this, and then this person is going to take credit for my work? No thank you! Theft is theft. Just as Art is Art.

I am sick of being used and walked on. Every time I do something good, someone has to knock me down, drag me through the mud, and then leave me in the puddle, in the meantime, they go brush themselves off and clean up, and smile and take credit for everything I do and did. No. It is not right.

You need to look at through my eyes, through the time I put into this, the effort, and look at it as my job. And then think about how this person didn't do any of it, and yet proceeds to steal the photos, and claim them as their own, people are commenting and applauding him and them, and recognizing him and his talents and not mine. Then you also need to think about this: "Dude you took such great photos of that graduation with your phone the other day, do you think you can come over to Bikini Contest and take photos and we'll pay you too!" Now you tell me, do  you still think its fair??
My Camera, but Photographer here is my Husband: David Williams, Sr. He too is a Member of Deneale's Photography and can be found shooting photos when we are both called out on projects together, or at the same time!

The whole idea here, is I wanted to bring to your attention that Photos are also works of art, and when you take and steal them as your own, and then someone hires you because you took such great photos, you are committing fraud. All the while you stole, and if the person has a disclaimer (As I do on my facebook about me section!) you can and are liable to get sued. 

Moral to this entry? Think before you take something from the net that isn't yours. The government can find out where everything came from. And their is always a timeline. And since I posted my photos first, obviously you did steal. Next time, if its on facebook, at least tag yourself. And if the person has their name or info within their photo stating that they made it, don't remove it. That is also fraud. 

And one more thing, creating bogus names and companies and pretending they are photo-shooting you, is also fraud. You might want to check out the name you create and pretend is a business when you use it, before doing so. That too, can cause a law suit. It is better to just be yourself, stop pretending your something you're not, and copying off of other people just because you have nothing better to do with your idle hands. Stop giving into the Devil, and make yourself useful.....

Imagine posting photos of: "The Simpsons TV Show on your page and claiming them as your own. Now you tell me Fox Network as well as the Artist who draws "The Simpsons" and their Attorney's won't be coming after you and I'll tell you that you're dreaming!!!

Thank you for your time and understanding on this matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment